[aprssig] Explain path please

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Oct 18 22:11:07 EDT 2008

Close.  As I understand it, each digi that hears AND sends should add
it's own ID.  Therefore, it is not quite accurate that -10 and -14 both
heard W4MIN.  Actually, I interpret this path as follows:

N8JE-9 sent to APT406 (loosely speaking) with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
W4MIN heard the signal, consumed the WIDE1-1 and repeated (probably with
WIDE1*,WIDE2-2)
WC4PEM-10 heard that, consumed one of the WIDE2's and repeated (probably
with WIDE1,WIDE2-1)
WC4PEM-14 heard that, consumed the final WIDE2 and repeated (probably
with WIDE1,WIDE2*)
KC4ZVV-2 heard that and gated it to APRS-IS

I'm doing a bunch of APRS-IS data collection (along with over-the-air
collection via KJ4ERJ) and crunching on some 2 meter propagation
numbers.  When conditions are good, I directly hear most of the
WC4PEM-nn family.  Right now (since 8:00pm or so tonight), reception is
again on the downhill slope and I'm only hearing their digi's from
WX4MLB-3 (that digi has a taller tower than I do).

If anyone knows for sure, feel free to throw your hat in the ring on
interpreting this particular packet path.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ