[aprssig] TH-78 and FT-51R APRS radios?

Ed L Locklear kf4chg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 16:53:58 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> When we get APRStt working fine, then we will add APRS
> capablitites for the TH-78 and FT-51R HT radios that both have
> DTMF TEXT message displays.  So these radios can be used to
> display local APRS info, such as the recommended frequency when
> you drive into a new area.
>
> http://www.aprs.org/aprstt/FT51-TH78.txt
>
> There are tens of thousands of these radios out there.  They
> were full duplex dual band radios used by many satellite users
> and for simple cross band repeaters in the field.  So if you
> have one, dust it off, charge it up, and lets hope someone does
> some code for an APRS=> DTMF gateway.
> See the above page.
>
> This of course is all part of the display of local APRS info to
> the mobile / portable APRS operator...
> www.aprs.org/localinfo.html
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Bob,

Your suggestions using the FT-51R are notable (I have 2 of them)
however, these radios are now some what obsolete (no longer able to
purchase).

Was wondering if you had researched the capabilities of newer radios
that may have same or similar features as mentioned above (TH-78 and
FT-51R)?

If so, what would you suggestion?

Ed, KF4CHG