[aprssig] APRS<=>Google

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Oct 17 11:06:27 EDT 2008

> I think commercial use speaks specifically to use related to direct
> "pecuniary" interests on behalf of the user, if we're talking about Part
> 97.  Unless an operator somehow receives some direct fiscal benefits
> from the proposed usage, I don't see how it would be considered any

I was thinking more about the benefits advertisers might get.
Personally, I don't think this usage should be considered commercial
(unless as you say someone's looking up stock quotes or something), but
I'm no lawyer.

> HSMM/Hinternet operations under Part 97 and existing rulings on things
> like appropriate use of the autopatch, I think there's enough of a
> standard set to keep out of trouble here.

Good point...

> Google.  As for the "automated means", there is a lot of room for
> interpretation there.  A web browser is an "automated" means of
> accessing Google - it is functionally a complex script that turns XHTML
> into a more human-readable format.  What I'm proposing is a "browser" of

Hmm, that's pushing it.  I think they mean automated means in terms of
no user intervention.  But still, this should get around that - it'll
only be answering manual queries.

Now, can you get the same interface as the SMS system?  The results I
get there aren't what I get on the regular site.  But at least I can use
the 'define:' operator (great for Scrabble disputes) and the calculator
(e.g., "1.72 nzd/liter in usd/gallon" to convert gas prices from New
Zealand dollars per liter to US dollars per gallon.)

Scott
N1VG