[aprssig] RTrak-Lite Sneak Peak

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Thu Oct 16 17:47:29 EDT 2008

I have been working on a couple new RTrak designs in
the last few
months.

The RTrak-Lite is close to done. This version is
smaller in size and
does NOT have a built-in 2M radio. When the original
RTrak was
released there was an immediate call for a higher
power radio and a
receiver. Since I did not design the MX-146 used, I
had to go with
what I can buy from my suppliers. Right now, there is
just not an
economical transceiver module availble.

The RTrak-Lite is meant to fill the void for those who
wish to have
the tracker and GPS in a small package and then cable
it to the radio
of their choice. This gives them the flexibility to
decide on power
output, ability to receive packets and detect channel
activity and
even use the RTrak as a full OpenTracker 1+.

Key Features:

- OpenTracker 1+ Engine On-Board (no plug-in module)
- Full support of OT1+'s ability to decode packets
- MN5010HS Sirf GPS Receiver (<30 second lock time
from cold start)
- Small Size - Board is only 51mm X 80mm
- Simplified RJ-45 Radio Interface
- Removed need for RUN/PROGRAM switch
- Simple Two LED status on front panel (Power and ACT)
- SMA connector for included GPS patch antenna

Here are some pictures of the latest prototype that I
am testing with:

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/img/rtrak/lite/rtraklite001.jpg

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/img/rtrak/lite/rtraklite002.jpg

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/img/rtrak/lite/rtraklite003.jpg

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/img/rtrak/lite/rtraklite004.jpg

I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com