[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7A(G) Retired

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Oct 13 12:55:36 EDT 2008

Whiskers aside, lead free processes seem to universally require higher
temperatures (and greater energy consumption.)  It's additional strain
on the components, added difficulty in making sure everything is
compatible, and a disruption to established and proven processes.

The lead-free solders I've worked with also have poorer wetting
characteristics and make rework more difficult.

All of this for a dubious environmental impact.  I'm sure years from now
they'll point to a decrease in lead in landfills that coincided with the
legislation, but how much do you want to bet they'll totally ignore the
shift from lead-filled CRTs to LCD and plasma displays?  How many iPods
worth of lead is there in one car battery?

But hey, people will vote to ban dihydrogen monoxide if you put it on
the ballot and tell them about all the ways it can kill you.  At least
here in California.  =]

Scott
N1VG