[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7A(G) Retired, now VX-8?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Oct 13 12:19:26 EDT 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:

> Video camera, WIFI, multiple micro-SD slots, MP3 player, etc.
>
> Oh wait - that's (almost) an Ipod - touch.

Exactly, it is all stuff that already exists. Sure you are packaging
it in a new form, but is it visionary? Personally I don't want any of
that on my ham radio, and I suspect having all this functionality will
make the core stuff I do want a little harder to access.

And for goodness sake, if you are feature cramming, why not put the
GPS chip inside like every cellphone made these days? When the D7 came
out we looked at creating a unit that went between the battery and
radio which would mount a GPS board. What stopped us was the cost to
tool the injection molds for the plastic case. It would have made the
too-thick D7 thicker, but it still would have been a nicer look than
the Yaesu external mount.

Steve