[aprssig] More on DTMF Messaging

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Oct 10 19:16:28 EDT 2008

Lee,
> Yaesu FT-11R & FT-41R series transceivers can
> also be used with this feature!

Anyone on the APRSSIG have any of these radios?  Can you confirm
they have ALPHA letters on their keypads?  If so, that makes a
total of 4 HT's that can now receive APRS info on their displays
(if there is an APRStt gateway in the area)...  See
www.aprs.org/aprstt/FT51-TH78.txt

> Remember that the message feature
> is independent of DTMF Paging described
> previously. That is, you aren't required
> to first page a station in order to send
> them a message.

Confirm?  In the TH-78, the radio must be in paging mode so that
when the PTT is pressed to send the message, the DTMF page code
also has gone out to open up the recepients receiver..

> Message Format
> The FT-51R contains a bank of 10 outgoing
> message memory "slots"... Any of the numbers,
> letters or symbols from the sixty alpha-
> numeric-character set... can be used...
>
> Message are sent using a simple format: the
> message text is composed of up to twelve DTMF
> characters, always preceded by and ending with
> a DTMF "#" character, as shown below.
>
> The FT-51R automatically formats your
> message with # flags, so you only have to enter
> text as you would like it to appear.

TH-78 you have to manually enter them unless you are putting
them in message memory first.

> Your FT-51R contains ten factory-programmed
> outgoing messages... as shown below.
>
> YAESU	Go2RPT
> QSY V	In Car
> QSY U	At Home
> QSY		CallMe
> Simplx	Emerg
>
> The FT-51R was available back in 1994.
> My company has at least 20 of them.
> Interesting to see that at least two
> other Yaesu models supported the texting.

And now we can make them display some local APRS!
Wow cool...

Bob, Wb4APR

recommended