[aprssig] FindU Telemetry page - Help needed

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Oct 10 16:02:25 EDT 2008

Let me guess, you learned using the new math... if it doesn't involve
apples or trains heading in opposite directions, you are lost ;-)

First, this is also a linear system, which means that the a is zero.
For a given change in the telemetered value, the measured parameter
changed the same amount, whether the parameter change is from 99 to
100 or 1 to 2.

Given it is linear, the formula is bx + c

You are right, the problem is easier without converting to F, so let's
do it in C first.

The way you wrote it is (with an extra set of parens added for clarity)

((tele + 4.7) * 1.9608 ) - 273.15

it is just algebra to put this in the form bx + c

distribute the multiplication

((tele x 1.9608) + (4.7 * 1.9608 )) - 273.15

4.7 * 1.9608 is 9.215, add this to the other constant -273.15

that makes the centigrade formula 1.9608 x + (-263.9)

b = 1.9608 c = -263.9

solving for x = 148 gives 26.3 degrees C, a reasonable room temp

so you want F?

F = (C * (9/5) ) + 32

We know C is 1.9608x - 263.9 and 9/5 is 1.8

F = ((1.9608x - 263.9) * 1.8) + 32

Just like above, you distribute the 1.8, and add the two constants to
get the b and c. This is left as an exercise for the reader. ;-)

Steve K4HG