[aprssig] The Lightning Discharge

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Thu Oct 2 14:11:06 EDT 2008

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Maybe on APRS-IS only and not gate that level of detail to the (in some areas)
> already overloaded RF channel?

Well, just give it a short TTL, and maybe only beacon each strike one or
twice.  Keep it local, short-lived, and relevant.  No need to broadcast
the same strike 10 times with a long TTL if the data is only relevant
for a few minutes at best.

As for RF or not, I'd certainly be interested in seeing if I'm going to
be driving into a lightning storm on my way home from the office.  If RF
is overcrowded due to other forms of mismanagement, that shouldn't
discourage more relevant data from being sent, no?