[aprssig] DTMF encoding

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 1 13:55:21 EDT 2008

> Ok, so they don't use pauses for LOCAL entry,
> what is the APRStt proposal for what actually
> gets stored and/or transmitted from the DTMF
> memory?  If we store the pauses...

You store the A key. (or C key depending on what we decide
kenwood is up to with the use of the A key on the D7 and the C
key on the D710 for the same function...)

> Seems like the deterministic 2 digits per
> character (12 per callsign) seems to win...

Yes, and with Q now on the 7 key, it takes 1 more key press now
for Q R S and 7!  So for callsign entry into APRStt (which it
knows it is looking for), I propose that the NUMERIIC in all
callsigns should be preceeded with the "0" key.  SO instead of
WB4APR being 922444427A777 which takes 13 bytes, that the 4444
is sent as 04 for only a total of 11.

To actually use a "0" in a callsign, then it has to be "00".

Pitty the poor guy with the callsign of FF3SSS...
333A333A33337777A7777A7777

BUT!!!  APRStt is by definition, a SIMPLEX RANGE LOCAL Function
(or input to a repeater)... So LOCAL CONVENTIONS (for shortcuts)
are possible.  Since most calls in France begin with F (333), I
would think that for a one-by callsign F5XXX, then if the code