[aprssig] APRS Comment/Status Text Guidelines

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 26 21:52:57 EST 2008

> Your idea would likely work pretty easily
> Bob...  Its not like the traffic [speed
> monitor] positions are mobile..  A name
> <-> lat / lon lookup table would cover
> everything...

But remember that the NAME must not only include the location, but the direction as well for those who will only see these on their radio front panel.  For example

50W-Bowie  is the name of the speed point monitoring west bound traffic at the "well known" Bowie choke point in the morning.  Oh, by the way, if you read all my original docs on the APRS traffic monitoring system,  you will notice that each monitoring location also has a TIME window when it is valid.  SO taht we dont get wrong-direction info of the morning direction when we are going home in the afternoon.

HOWEVER, having said that, the wrong way traffic will usually be flowing fine in the opposite commute time, so it will never be triggered by slow traffic, so maybe this is not an issue.  But I would design the data base with those fields in them.  I think I had some other fields in there too, like TIMES, DIRECTION, and WEDGE WIDTH, and etc?

Bob, Wb4APR

  And being perl,