[aprssig] APRS Comment/Status Text Guidelines

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 26 19:04:46 EST 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Ben Jackson wrote:

> My plan is to have the final version write a text file with
> APRS packets already formatted. From there one can do whatever they want
> to it. Or should I be looking at a different path?

That method works great.

> Finally, since this seems to be rather popular, are there other similar
> pages that I should take a look at and try to write similar clients? I
> know California has Sig Alert and I'm sure there are other similar
> systems out there.

We have quite a few scripts/programs for Firenet that do similar
things, snagging data from http or ftp sites, manipulating the data
a bit, then creating APRS packets and injecting them to the 'net
feeds.  Run the programs/scripts from cron and you end up with a
fairly reliable system...  until they change the source pages on
you.

I wrote a Perl program which uses plugins for the different data
types.  It can inject packets into one or two internet servers and
even throttle back the packet injection when there are 100's or
1000's of packets to inject.  Others on Firenet wrote Windows
programs to do similar things.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer