[aprssig] APRS on UHF?

Patrick winston at winston1.net
Wed Nov 26 14:07:36 EST 2008

GPS time sync is nice, but it doesn't handle when they don't have the same time...  I've
got a handful of GPS models and some have different time then the others...  All I can
figure is that the mfr's have taken into account leap seconds in code or something along
that lines..

So I'm getting the feeling generally that the only thing that's kept it on the vhf side
is that that is where it started and no one has really wanted to change...  That said,
is there anything keeping it that way?  If local groups picked up the idea of using a
frequency (438.975 in Canada is technically ATV planned, but say we picked that for
argument's sakes because others are there) would there be APRS zealots be all over us?

I've never understood the connection between zealots and technology, but you should hear
some of the stuff that's come up because of people using their "own" APRS channel so
that only people in their group/club/whatever know where to look and can see their traffic..

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:08:40 -0800, Scott Miller wrote