[aprssig] OLPC $199 laptop again

Jon K Hellan hellan at acm.org
Mon Nov 17 07:28:16 EST 2008

Scott Miller wrote:

> I found the Sugar interface clunky and confusing, and inconsistently
> implemented.  As much as I'd like to see this project succeed, I'm
> afraid I really don't have that much faith in it.  Not when regular
> netbooks are heading into the same price range.  Maybe if the software
> suite has really been drastically improved in the last 9 months, but I
> haven't heard anything about that.
>
> Considering how long it's taken this project to get moving, Moore's Law
> is going to be their biggest problem.  The Simputer project ran into the
> same problem - by the time they had a product, commercial PDAs and
> handheld PCs were cheaper and faster.

The project organization basically imploded this year. Lots of key personnel left after vicious holy wars,
mostly over XP. Nicholas Negroponte was unable to sell the laptops *without* XP, the tech people felt that they
couldn't achieve the educational goals *with* XP.

See  e.g. http://radian.org/notebook/sic-transit-gloria-laptopi

Jon LA4RT