[aprssig] "Blind" APRS

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Fri Nov 7 23:57:17 EST 2008

On Nov 7, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:

>  I wrote VB code to speak frequencies much more naturally.   e.g.
> 7150 is "seventy one fifty"  IIR 146.94 is "One forty six, nine
> four". It's not 100% human spoken, but pretty good.  It parces the
> digits right to left and based on which digits are present, builds
> speech-command strings producing the more natural speech patterns.
>    I'd give it to anyone wanting it.  The VBA algorithm can be
> translated to the language of your choice. It sends what I'm pretty
> sure are standardized speech synthesizer commands.  I developed it
> using the Double Talk module.
>   It's currently in an Excel spreadsheet macro which sends
> frequency commands to a 706 and speech commands to the speech synth
> on a single serial port with a Wye (the CI-V commands and Double
> talk commands are orthogonal, i.e. non overlapping).

Any modern Windows or Mac machine (XP, OS X) has fairly decent speech
synthesizer engines built in now, and you can purchase commercial
ones that sound amazing.  Programming is quite simple - 10 lines of
code can speak through the sound card on these machines.  It'd be
fairly easy to rig that up to a radio or anything else...