[aprssig] "Blind" APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Nov 7 17:38:53 EST 2008

> How many APRStt systems are currently in operation

Unknown.  They are in France...

But since I have been trying to talk someone into writing a
windows version for almost 8 years, when I heard last month
about it, I really got fired up.  The problem is that 1 week
later, the author LOST his internet access and disappeared.

Now about a week ago, he is reconnected, but so inundated with
backed-up email and spam and "suggestions from me" that he is
totally snowed under.  Plus, he has to translate the docs to
english before we can really use it.  Plus the voice!

> and how many reports do they receive?
> Do they also speak the regular 144.39
> traffic?

The APRStt engine has one ear on its DTMF/Voice frequency and
one "ear" on 144.39 so that it is 100% aware of the entire local
and Global APRS picture.  The only thing that comes out on the
APRStt voice frequency are responses to the DTMF users who
"request" info as needed, or input their position or messages,
etc.

BUT the original version allowed anyone of the DTMF users to
request voice tracking of an object, and then if that object was
moving, the voice would speak its position once a minute.  This
way all the DTMF HT users at an  event can keep a "minds eye" on
the LEAD runner or whatever, without having to continuoously
request it.

The imagination is boundless as to all the uses we can make of
this capability (once we ever get a copy!)...

Thanks
Bob, Wb4APR