[aprssig] OpenAPRS has assumed "EMAIL" alias (was UniversalMessaging)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 6 13:57:47 EST 2008

> OpenAPRS has added support for APRS
> Message -> EMAIL gatewaying and has
> picked up the "EMAIL" alias until Keith
> can get his back up.  We'll switch
> to a new alias on request.

Well, the thing I have been asking the WU2Z engine to add for
years, has been shortcuts for the D7 or D700 operator that has
to key all this stuff in by finger on the pad.  Something along
the lines of:

1) Accept "E" as well as "EMAIL"
2) ACCEPT JUNO, AMSAT, AOL, ARRL, etc.

This way, we save space in the message.  When you receive a
message to "AMSAT" then you take the first word of the email
(usually a callsign) and prepend it to "@AMSAT.ORG" for the full
address and then send it on its way.

I have been asking for this for nearly as long as the EMAIL
engine has been in existance.  These kinds of shortcuts can
greatly enhance user operations at little expense in code.

Bob, WB4APR