[aprssig] Re: Dayton, Voice Alert, Ohio and WV.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 30 16:37:09 EDT 2008

Bob: this list is witness to (your and other)many attempts to train APRS mobil users and digis as to your concept of operations, with which I agree.

If one completely misses a target, perhaps it's time to change targets or firing ranges (*8->).
Consider a checklist
1. - get into vehcile
2. - start vehicle
3. - turn on radio
4. - check for VA, select ON or OFF depending on intentions to use it
   - etc
   - etc
 Then publish it in QST, QRZ, AR Newsline, etc on a continuing basis.  Perhaps QST would accept a continuing sidebar, since they profess to be about training & education for hams.

Discussion

My $%0.02  --  73  --  W6DWF

But the problem is that those abusers do not hear themselves and
are not aware of how they are spoiling the network.  And they
are so easy to track down.  When you hear one, then look at your
APRS display and you can see who it is.  Contact him and fix the
problem, or he is just spoiling it for everyone else where ever
he goes.

So that is why we need to work on education, not just ignoring
the problem.  I ran into one guy who had his digi set up to
CTCSS-100, because he though that was the purpose... To let
travelers know they were there...  We had a little chat, and now
he understands and turned it off.  Now travelers again have
peace and quiet through that area...