[aprssig] Re: Dayton, Voice Alert, Ohio and WV.

J T w0jrt at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 15:41:42 EDT 2008

--- On Fri, 5/30/08, Alex Carver <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know, but I still cannot understand why the majority of
> APRS
> hams would waste a perfectly good receiver, permanently in
> their
> car, tuned to a national calling channel, with automatic
> proximity detector... by setting the volume to OFF..
>
> Instead of:
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/VoiceAlert3.html

It's a good idea in theory but it doesn't work well in practice in some
areas.
And some people just aren't interested in making contacts with random hams.  I have a friend who got his license because of APRS and high altitude balloons.  He will occasionally use voice when our balloon group is doing its thing, but he's just not interested in chatting it up with others.  We use APRS messaging frequently, though, even when not ballooning.

I'll occasionally have VA on when traveling but not for daily commuting.

-Jerome, W0JRT