[aprssig] future positioning parameters - geohash

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Thu May 29 16:38:20 EDT 2008

For anyone that has time to contemplate alternate position notation
systems for APRS, it might be interesting to look at geohashes:

http://geohash.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash

It's a not-very-computationally intensive system for managing a
hierarchy of location specifications; ambiguity is built in. The
representation is very compact (but not human readable). Geohashes offer
properties like arbitrary precision, similar prefixes for nearby
positions, and the possibility of gradually removing characters from the
end of the code to reduce its size (and gradually lose precision).

It's not clear to me that trackers would necessarily want to use this
(though I think it would be fine to do so, especially since there is a
well-defined mechanism for providing ambiguity) but other systems
upstream from the raw packets might find it a useful representation.

73 de chris K6DBG