[aprssig] Local Info Objects

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:49:52 EDT 2008

I have done both and actually the laptop is usually a much safer option than
just the radio. Over extended trips I have done one way radio only and the
other way laptop. I have found that he trip is much quicker (meaning I do
not slow up and down as much) with the laptop than with just the radio.

With aging eyes if you are going to look at your display (and whatever
anyone says the display is there and people are not going to ignore it) you
will usually take a longer time to glance and read it or push buttons to get
to that display or the other feature. Most often than not the display is
under your dash or on your console (yes I know some people like to bake
their radios on top of the dashboard but I do not)and will require you to
take your eyes further off the road than necessary.

With a large laptop display on a properly mounted mobile platoform the
"target" is large meaning an entire laptop display and not a 3x6 radio
faceplate and up closer to the road field of view than a mobile would be.
You can glance at it and get back to where you should be looking, the road
by just moving your eyes not your entire head down to the dash. I can very
easly find the F9 button on UI-View to send a beacon instead of a small
softkey button which is identical to a bunch of others next to it to force
an immediate beacon. I can also quickly move a mouse pointer over a station
and get particulars on that station instead of having to hit a couple of
soft keys, rotate a VFO knob down a list, then hit a bunch of soft keys
again to scroll their information.

This goes without saying I don't EVER do this on the road, doing so would be
a violation of the law but I have dreamed all of this in my sick twisted
mind. Or at least I think it was a dream, maybe I was sleep driving :-)

Rich