[aprssig] APRS needs...

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Tue May 27 09:59:37 EDT 2008

Nintendo DS, PSP, other portable gaming gadgets?   Good quality
hardware, world wide avaialability...   But (other than wifi) no built
in radio.

Put a virtual keyboard on the tap screen of the DS, and incoming stuff
on the other.  It already has WiFi, and many people seem to be hacking
them for other uses already, including adding hardware serial ports etc.
The graphics is more than good enough for simple APRS type stuff.

The old GameBoy's were well documented for all sorts of Ham stuff, being
Z80 derived (well the CPU core at least).

PSP's too I am told, can be got at in a small way, I recall reading that
someone had a version of Linux running on the PSP a while back, or was
it the DS, cant find the link now.

Ah, google for "linux psp" several hits there...   "Linux DS" also
springs up some interesting stuff...

Regards

Dave G0WBX.