[aprssig] APRS needs...

Kauto Huopio OH2LFM oh2lfm at sral.fi
Tue May 27 01:00:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Ev Tupis <w2ev at yahoo.com> wrote:
> ... a hand-held transceiver with a clamshell qwerty
> keyboard, color LCD screen and an open OS.

Before this, I think we would need a Really Rugged Tracker.

Something that can be attached to the outside of a backback and be
operated in all possible rain and temperature conditions.
Integrated SIRF III GPS, OT1+ tracker engine, proper sturdy
connectors for external power and RS-port for bidirectional NMEA
feed for external GPS. Frequency-agile TX/RX radio, I'd say minimum
2W out. Internal battery that must be able to be field-replaced without
special tools maintaining IP67 protection must be capable of 8 hours
of SAR operations field use in all temperature conditions.

Yes, it sounds not cheap. But proper APRS depolyment in SAR enviroment
requires this.

If we could integrate Bluetooth, it could be quite easy to connect to a general-
purpose terminal like Nokia N810. It is not IP67, but could be stowed in the
pocket.

Any rugged GPS units with open source platform inside, so that APRS messaging/
agile waypoint capabilities could be enhanced?

--Kauto OH2LFM

Kauto Huopio OH2LFM - oh2lfm at sral.fi
Hansakallionkuja 12 A 1, 02780 Espoo, Finland
Tel. +358-40-5008774 (gsm)