[aprssig] APRS needs...

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon May 26 17:29:03 EDT 2008

It's a nice thought, but it's not entirely true.  Just building a better
product has never been enough to be commercially successful.

Marketing issues aside, the potential market is only so big, and
developing anything like this as a completely custom product is *expensive*.

If we were just talking about the electronics, it wouldn't be so bad.
Component obsolescence is a constant problem of course, and getting good
prices on LCD screens usually means buying large numbers, but it could
be done.  But with the design and tooling costs of a completely custom
solution like this... I just don't think it can be justified.

Scott
N1VG