[aprssig] APRS radios

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun May 25 18:28:56 EDT 2008

I know of no processors that can directly execute code from NAND flash.
  It's a bit like running from a hard drive - you've still got to load
it into RAM first, because the interface isn't suitable for direct,
linear access.

And the USB part doesn't really help either, since it's a function
(i.e., client) only, not a host, and doesn't do anything besides mass
storage.

Certainly there are more capable embedded processors out there, but a
huge number of APRS stations are running on chips that cost under $3 in
quantity.  The OT1+'s processor cost about $1.69 each (quantity 1000)
when they first came out, and that's enough horsepower to do 1200 baud
TX and RX in software, plus basic APRS parsing.  It's just a little
tedious to work with.

And regardless of the amount of computing power you've got, it's
difficult to implement an APRS parser correctly simply because of the
ambiguity and complexity of the spec.

Scott
N1VG