[aprssig] Don't take things for granted !!

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri May 23 17:37:51 EDT 2008

I spoke to Russell Shoji at Google back in 2005, before the Google Maps
API came online, about how Google Maps might serve the APRS community
(and how they might get to test out their Ride Finder technology with a
much larger data set in the process.)  They were interested, but the
eventual conclusion was basically "we've announce the Maps API, so the
APRS community is free to go and do it themselves."

Now, I'm sure that what Mr. Shoji said wouldn't be construed as a
license, and it's quite possible he wouldn't have the authority to grant
permission anyway, and the advertised terms of service might have been
different back then, but I think it's a safe bet that A) Google knows
about APRS (they were aware of it before I contacted them), and B) it
doesn't seem to be in conflict with what they're trying to accomplish
with the terms of service, specifically preventing free use of Google
Maps for commercial AVL and vehicle navigation systems.

If anyone's that concerned about it, I'll be happy to take the lead on
getting explicit approval from Google for APRS use of Google Maps.
Based on my previous contacts with them, I can't imagine it being a big
deal.  And I know for a fact there are APRS users within their ranks - I
recognized the address of their main campus on a repaired OT1+ I sent
out just a week or two ago.

APRS is exactly the kind of public good that Google likes to be seen
contributing to.  I don't think there's any real chance that they'd pull
a Vicinity.com and just yank access.

Scott
N1VG