Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re:[aprssig]YaesuVX-8R)]

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri May 23 15:10:19 EDT 2008

"Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>, Thu, 22 May 2008 15:07:01 -0400

>Because not one boat manufacturer has embedded APRS into its
>communication architecture.  And I have never seen anyone hold a
>boat in their hand and use it to communicate with another boat
>held to ones ear...

No, but the boats - if equipped with a GPS navigation system and a
digital marine VHF - can report their position via VHF, and the NMEA
bus can (at least through a sort of hub) feed even ham radio systems
with their NMEA packets. And with AIS onboard one can see other boats
and be seen by them.

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway