[aprssig] Ham Radio, Use it or Lose it!

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:06:50 EDT 2008

I must say, APRS is one of the technologies that helped facilitate my
return to amateur radio after putting the radios in the closet for
about 5 years 99-04.  Oddly enough, I live just across town from Bob
for most of my first 10 years as a ham 93-03, but I never knew what
APRS was.  I think that the 5 years of dust that gathered on my radios
may not have happened if I would have known about APRS back then.
Like many from the no-code tech generation, I entered the hobby the
wrong way, passed a copule of written tests and got a 2 meter rig.
Now, 2 meter FM was cool to a 15 year old before mobile phones were
popular, but even that coolness wore off after a while.  APRS was
always growing, improving, and there was a lot more you could do to be
part of the community.

I send messages all the time with the D710 :) those preprgramed
phrases are nice though!

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R