Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re:[aprssig] YaesuVX-8R)]

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu May 22 12:46:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I donno.  We have only had 1.1 major manufacturers fully enorse
> and implement APRS in 10 years.  We rewarded that MFR with a
> symbol.

  Grrr.  You're way off base on this one, Bob.  One 'rewards' a commercial
concern with sales, not by pandering to their ego by plastering their logo
on what is *meant* to be a tactical display.

The TOCALL 'destination' field has been designated as the place to
describe the specific implementation that formatted this packet.  That is
the place where the manufacturer, as well as model and version, are to be
encoded.
   The Icon or symbol displayed on the screen must be one which has
tactical value, conveying in an instant the functional role of this
station in the incident at hand.  Details which convey specific
capabilities, such as SMS capability, voice monitoring freq/mode,
telemetry available, etc. can be buried a level deeper just a mouse-click
away.  A 'Brand name' tells me absolutely nothing about whether this
station is the command post, a mobile observer, a supply depot, shelter,
etc., and that's the information that's needed on a situational awareness
display at first glance.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin