Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] YaesuVX-8R)]

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 21 23:38:15 EDT 2008

>> we added a RADIO symbol with OVERLAYS.  Using that
>> symbol will allow a K for Kenwood, a Y for Yeasu,
>> an I for Icom and A for Alinco, etc...
>
> What is the tactical or situational-awareness value to
> this?

Extremely valuable.  With not a single 'bit' of added load to
the network, about a megabyte of information is transferred.  In
that one symbol, one end of an APRS communication link has a
"virtual megabyte" of knowledge about the capabilities,
functions and operability of the other end of the link.

If someone is having problems doing something on APRS with his
equipment and someone else is monitoring with that same
equipment he can jump in and offer detailed knowledge about how
to resolve it.  I have yet to meet any one ham who has full
knowledge of how to operate any of these modern gizmo radios.  I
am always happy to have someone else help me figure out how to
accomplish something with the tool in hand, without having to go
home and get the "megabyte manual"..

It seems just common sense to include such a wealth of
informaion for free in our comunications...

Bob, WB4APR