Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig]YaesuVX-8R)]

Steve Grantham aa5sg-2 at sera.org
Wed May 21 11:47:32 EDT 2008

Don't forget that the Tracker2 is touted as having message capability when
used with the Nuvi 350, which can be connected to the Alinco, Icom, or other
brand radio.  So...  It seems that we all go around singing, "My brand's
better than your brand.  My brand's better than yours..."  Why?

If the point of all this is to define an icon to indicate message
capability, then let's get to that.  Name brand icons only subjectively
serve that purpose.  After all, someone could hook up a TH21AT to a TT3 and
select the KW icon, or just spoof it without even having a Kenwood.  It
seems that some here should be thinking about the ramifications of "codes
and ciphers" and "pecuniary interests" where name brand icons are sent over
the air using defined symbols.

Steve, AA5SG