[aprssig] TH2THAPR-1 Server keeps sending messages?

Gerhard f5vag.eu at gmail.com
Tue May 20 17:03:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists
<hamlists at ametx.com> wrote:
> I did a packet list on TH2THAPR-1 on both findU and jFindu with zero results.  Are the "messages" lines starting with # in your TCP display or are they actual APRS messages?  If the former, those are standard keep-alives.  If the latter, it sounds like either there is a non-javAPRSSrvr server in the Tier 2 rotate list or someone in the Tier 2 rotate list has made a mistake in their configuration.  The default for javAPRSSrvr is to block all of those types of messages.  They are generated by non-javAPRSSrvr software and were considered a nicety in the beginning of APRS-IS but became a major nuisance with the large number connections occurring on the net.  APRServe, aprsD, and AHub all generate these broadcast messages

There are only javAPRSSrvr in the Tier 2 network and consequently
in the rotate list. Take a look at the status page:
http://www.aprs2.net/
http://f5vag.nerim.net/php/tier2_stat.php

I have no idea (yet?) who or what generates the messages Rich and
Rory talked about.

--
73 de Gerhard, F5VAG / DL7MW
http://f5vag.eu, france.aprs2.net