VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R)

Iain Young, G7III g7iii at g7iii.net
Tue May 20 16:00:52 EDT 2008

Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:

> I got a good look at the VX8R at Dayton. I already have a Kenwood, but
> to compare the two, the Kenwood with the higher capacity battery is
> about twice as thick as the Yaesu VX8R.

What I'd really like is a high quality picture. All the ones I've seen
so far aren't quite good enough to see what the labels above the buttons
are...Could tell a lot from that, esp if theres labels like "BCON", or
"BEAC", "MSG" etc...

> The GPS will be in the external mic that connects to the Yaesu.

Ah, thats not so bad then. Hopefully they'll be up/down buttons and
frequency display on the same mic. Similar to the icom D-Star Mic I
guess.

> Frankly, Kenwood should have updated the TH-D7AG a long time ago and
> integrated a GPS with the radio. The TH-D7AG is a nice radio, don't get
> me wrong, but I am looking for to the VX8R.

Agreed. The D7A is great, but dated.

73s

Iain