VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R)

Iain Young, G7III g7iii at g7iii.net
Tue May 20 13:11:42 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Interesting Radio... I wonder if it will receive and display any
> APRS or is just another GPS tracker?   But blue-tooth GPS will
> eliminate the biggest hassle of carrying an APRS HT by
> eliminating any wires...  Bob, WB4APR

Eep, I go away for the weekend, and miss all the fun and speculation.

I must admit, I agree, it looks a very interesting rig, and I hope
it's at least the equal of the D7A. Remains to be seen though of
course, and how the GPS unit connects is going to be key for me.

Now, to cause trouble (HI), lets assume it is a full APRS rig like
the D7A, What are we going to do about which symbol and SSID to
use ? :)

Should we continue to use the \K symbol (esp considering it's a
Yaesu rig, rather than Kenwood) or should we consider a separate
symbol ?

And should we use the  -8 SSID to indicate a VX-8R rather than the
-7 ?:)

73

Iain

And PS: Yes, I know it's to early to tell if its even worth such
a discussion, and yes, I know I'm being difficult :) This post is
-not- 100% serious :)