[aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed May 14 15:50:45 EDT 2008

Randy KA0AZS wrote...

> For me that's a bug, not a feature. The VX-7R is too small to be
> useable for me or to even be comfortable in my hands.

I have a VX-7R, but use my VX-2R and VX-3R all of the time with the
VX-7R gathering dust until I need a bit more power. I just don't use the
VX-7R enough. I should find the manual and re-familiarize myself. It was
OK when I first got it as I used it every day for a couple of weeks, but
the 3R slips in my pocket and you don't even know it's there. Yes, if
you found the 7R too small, you probably wouldn't like the 8R. It's not
a lot smaller, but smaller it is.

> Just think what they could do with the extra room. Built in GPS?
> Extended capacity batteries?  Increased shock absorbant "armor" to
> further ruggedize them?

I'm assuming that the GPS receiver will connect via Blue Tooth. No
cables would be nice. As Bob mentioned though, it's the actual APRS
features that will make it or break it for APRS use. When I have used
the 7R, the 7.4 V 1300 mAh battery has given me good life. I see the 8R
will have a slightly smaller 1100 mAh battery pack. The VX-7R is very
rugged. Hopefully the VX-8R is as well done. To me, it looks like a nice
radio, but it's the APRS features that will help me decide if I need one
or not.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH