[aprssig] What the? Local situational awareness?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun May 11 13:51:45 EDT 2008

I spotted an unfamiliar 'tactical' call on my xastir display.  I selected
'station info' to see what 'situation' I should be aware of.  This is what
I was told:
    (Damn! xastir doesn't seem to support copy of this text to the
clipboard... I have to transcribe manually)

(The symbol displayed is \n, a small red triangle) Object name: IRESC

Packets received: 21  Last heard: 05/11/2008 10:06:46
Object from: IQ7ET
Heard last via Internet on device 2  (rotate.aprs.net:14580)
Data path: APU16N,IR8CSB,IR7AZ*,Wide7-4,Wide7-7,qAo,IZ7BOJ-11
Comment 05/11 10:06 : Internat.Radio Emergency www.iresc.org
Current power and gain: none
Distance from my station: 46.9 miles Bearing from my station: 123.5
Last Position: 05/11 10:06   42 04.610N 083 17.129W                 EN82ib

So what kind of emergency is an italian club station trying to tell me is
happening in Southeastern Michigan?  And wants to let everyone within 14
hops of their station know about it???

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin