[aprssig] Overlooked TM-D710 Features

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat May 10 06:21:34 EDT 2008

Stephen WA8LMF wrote...

> It doesn't have Smartbeaconing  (r) in the usual sense of variable
> rate beaconing based on speed or heading changes.
>
> What it does have is "proportional pathing"  that allows a more rapid
> beacon rate on a short (or even no) path and a lower rate beaconing on
> a longer path simultaneously.

That's really unfortunate. What you are describing is "proportional
pathing" but what Bob posted was...

> L) The D710 has Smart beaconing, and Proportional pathing,
> and Decay to vastly reduce network loading.

I'm sure Bob wasn't trying to be misleading, but I'll bet that I wasn't
the only one fooled by his message and thought that he meant that
SmartBeaconing had been added in an update from Kenwood. If I
searched, I'm sure that I could find a message from him some months
ago where he said that he had actually asked Kenwood to add it, so
it was understandable when his message tricked me.

So, for the record, the D710 does NOT have SmartBeaconing.

The HamHUD of course has SmartBeaconing,  as do the TinyTrak3 and
the OpenTracker/Tracker2/T2-135 series. Perhaps Kenwood will add it.
UI-View (when used mobile) doesn't have real SmartBeaconing, but is
capable of beaconing every X minutes and every Y km. It lacks corner
pegging. That's a lot smarter than a D700, but I can't call it
SmartBeaconing.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH