[aprssig] Overlooked TM-D710 Features

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri May 9 22:29:11 EDT 2008

> Yes, actually, Scott provided one I uploaded to my MAP60C (suitable
> for most any Garmin mapping unit, not just one US$600 model) and my
> tracker2 does an admirable job of taking advantage of it.

To be fair, the T2 currently only has 64 symbol mappings in it.  I based
the custom symbol set around what would fit in the GPSmap 60CS, but
there's no reason I couldn't add more if another model has more room.  I
think the 64 it has now cover at least 90% of the stations on the air,
plus the ones I thought were most important for SAR use.

>> Comeon, if there was a GPS
>> out there ANYWHERE that supported the full APRS symbol set I
>> GUARANTEE that kenwood would output a protocol to it.
>
> Garmin, Kenwood.  Kenwood, Garmin. When can I download the firmware to
> upgrade my D710?

I really have my doubts about Kenwood tackling the Garmin binary
protocol.  It's a lot of complexity, and a lot of undocumented details
that make implementation a pain.  But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.

I've been hearing that the D710 does put out a proprietary sentence that
the AvMap can interpret and that apparently includes some symbol
information.  If someone can get me specs on that (or at least plenty of
sample data) I'll be happy to add AvMap support to the T2, and build a
protocol converter that'll let the D710 use a Garmin.

>  Before you buy, look at the capabilities of a Tracker 2 equipped
> Alinco DR-135.

Add a Nuvi 350 and the price is still $100 less than a D710 alone, and
(IMHO) it's easier to type and read messages on.  It won't replace your
voice radio, but it has its uses.  Stop by the booth next weekend and
check it out... we're in 503-505.

Scott
N1VG