[aprssig] Overlooked TM-D710 Features

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri May 9 21:14:02 EDT 2008

Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>

>> F) This TNC/Display head can be used like any other TNC for any
>> packet application but not only for 1200 but also 9600 baud with
>> any radio.
>>

> This would be interesting if it were available for a reasonable price
> without the radio - again, I'm not gonna spend $600 on a radio and not
> use the radio part, and given the obscene cost of a D700 control head
> replacement, I don't see it being offered separately at a reasonable
> price.

Actually they DO sell the display head/TNC/APRS terminal separately for
about half the price of the radio.  Think of it as a commercially-built
Ham Hud.   You can "upgrade" a TM-71 to a D710 (RF chassis is
identical),  or with any other radio where the RF control functions are
lost but the APRS functions remain.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map