[aprssig] Kenwood Status - Thinking about TH-D7AG purchase

K7FTP k7ftp at commtechreview.net
Fri May 9 15:17:46 EDT 2008

That's kind of what got me wondering.  He did say that Kenwood also owes him
some money, so I was not sure if that perhaps tainted his view.  But they
seem to be in shorter supply, and some places don't even list them anymore.

He has a lot of Icom gear, and is setting up a D-Star repeater.  I know you
can do something similar to APRS via their system, but APRS works really
well around here.  I have also heard that the Icom system won't do their
APRS simplex (has to go through a D-Star repeater), but I just called him
and he said it does wok simplex.

I'd like our radios to be able to give bearing and distance when we hook up
GPS units.  I have one with a cable all ready to go to give to her (a
Lowrance iFinder), and there are digipeaters near all of the areas she tends
to go.  I have the D700A in the Jeep and it works from almost everywhere.

I was hoping maybe Bob (WB4APR) is familiar with the situation at Kenwood...

BTW- the Jeep page for those that have asked is at
http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep