[aprssig] Kenwood Status - Thinking about TH-D7AG purchase

K7FTP k7ftp at commtechreview.net
Fri May 9 13:45:20 EDT 2008

Howdy all,

I'm looking to get a pair of HT's now that my wife is getting her ticket.
She likes the APRS features of the D700A in the Project Jeep, and I am
leaning towards a pair of TH-D7AG radios.  My old HT is so worn I don't
really want to replace the case and keyboard.

I was in our local ham radio store (not AES or HRO) and the owner said that
Kenwood is essentially out of the game.  He didn't have any Kenwood radios,
and he told me that the general perception is that they are getting out of
amateur radio.

I'm just curious to see what others think.  I checked with AES in Las Vegas
and they said that some Kenwood stuff has been a bit harder to get but that
they didn't know anything as I had been told.  I noted that Digikey didn't
have any HT's from Kenwood, and I have seen others that list them as
backordered.

Any word?

Anyone know of a really good mail order deal?  So far, $369 with free
shipping seems to be the best from HRO.