[aprssig] Voice Repeater ==> APRS Interface

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 8 22:28:00 EDT 2008

>> That is why you do it only once and do it
>> right and store it in one of your radio's
>> DTMF memories.  You never have to do it
>> again.  Just hit DTMF Memory X, and your
>> DTMF callsign goes out perfect every time.
>
> That does make it a bit more viable from the
> end user standpoint..

In fact, pressing DTMF memory 1 button takes about as much
effort as a PTT kerchunk.  And if the repeater controller
implements APRStt, then instead of a kerchunk, what other people
will hear the repeater controller say is "Welcome WB4APR" which
is really not much different from me picking up the mic,
pressing PTT and announcing "WB4APR Mobile"...

The advantage is that now the rest of the world either hears it
or sees it on APRS since it is machine and network readable
instead of the words just falling on deaf ears.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR