[aprssig] APRS Green

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 8 08:58:44 EDT 2008

> Knowing that power of any kind is available in
> the next county might be handy if anything bad
> happened... but if you are going to suggest new
> symbols, then I propose having a symbol for
> standard 60Hz as well as the green stuff.

My thoughts are that power from the mains is assumed unless
otherwise indicated.  But the more I think about it, in the
scenario you just mentioned, maybe it does make sense to have a
"mains" symbol.  In the case where ALL power is lost everywhere
throught a huge region, it would be nice to be able to mark an
OBJECT or stations with the MAINS symbol when power is restored
there.  Thanks...  SO unless someone can think of a better use
of the "6" and "5" overlays on a house, then we can let them
represent 60 or 50 Hz mains power...  Ive added them to the
list...

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/symbols-new.txt

Bob, Wb4APR

> > What do I do for my house with backup battery
> > power, emergency power (generator), HF, solar
> > power, and wind power?
>
> My thinking was that you would use the "E".  One could argue
> that the "E" should be reserved for automatic use when the
power
> goes out and some systems shift to "E"mergency backup power...
> On the other hand, if one is running all the time on such
power,