[aprssig] TM-D710 & StreetPilot III

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon May 5 10:52:53 EDT 2008

During development of the T2 I found that a lot of Garmin receivers have
very specific rules about what characters they do and don't accept for
waypoint names.  I coded as many of those rules into the T2 as I could,
and have updated them a couple of times.  Underscores and spaces are
frequent sources of problems, and decimal points in frequency objects.
I think dashes are ok.

I found the Magellan units to be much more forgiving.  If you give them
a character they don't like, they just won't display it.  Garmins tend
to either give an error, or (if it's in the comment text) drop some or
all of the string.  It's just too bad the Magellan symbol set stinks and
can't be updated.

Scott
N1VG