[aprssig] GO-32

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 4 12:14:25 EDT 2008

Save the satellite configuration into a PM.  Maybe PM 5.  THen
when you anticpate GO-32 passes (they are the same time every 9
days, so a simple list of 9 times on the dashboard will work for
months)...  Just select that PM.

For normal operation, press any other PM...  Bob

Durnal
> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:09 PM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] GO-32
>
> A D7 is on the shopping list, but my HOA makes reasonable
antenna
> placement difficult at best.  One of these days I'll move and
that
> won't be a problem any more.
>
> For now, I'll keep trying to work it from the mobile.  Any
pointers on
> how to quickly switch my D710 to be ready to operate this way?
Right
> now I just have the kenwood programming software with a saved
file
> with all of the settings, then when I'm done, I just reprogram
it back
> to my normal settings.
>
> 73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R
>

> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Robert Bruninga
> <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> > > Well, 4xtech showed up on the display of my
> > > D710 a couple of times, but didn't get a
> > > MY POSITION.  I wasn't able to find anyone local to
> > > listen out for me.
> >
> > The good news is that it is easier to see one's self on GO32
> > than on the ECHO satellite, because GO32 has a PTT delay
some of
> > the time.  So your radio will have turned around in time to
hear
> > your packet come back...  But if you are in the mobile, you
> > probably get a good downlink for the center 3 minutes of a
good
> > high pass.
> >
> > But you can get in from horizon to hrizon if you are running
50
> > watts.  That is why we need LOTS of people Igating the
downlink.

> > The best way to do this is to encourage all D7 owners that
do
> > not use their D7 routinely, to not just set it in the
closet,
> > but leave it hooked to your Igate all the time you are not
using
> > it.  Connect this through a SHORT colx to a 19" vertical
whip.

> > This station will receive GO-32 downlink packets for the
center
> > 3 minutes of the best two passess per day... And if we have
> > enough people doing this (say a dozen over the USA), then at
> > least one of them will always have a good chance of hearing
each
> > packet and feeding the APRS-IS...
> >
> > And since coax loss is the big bugga... The better way is to
ptu
> > the D7 up near the antenna and run only the 3 wire RS-232
down
> > to the shack...  Then you don't need a pre-amp...
> >
> > Bob, WB4APR
> >

> > > I'll have to give it a shot another time.
> > >
> > > 73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R

board.  I
> > guess I

> > > me as well.