[aprssig] portable station.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 2 16:14:25 EDT 2008

> I have an idea for a portable station....

I have been using large plastic brief/suit-cases for each
radio/laptop combo, but these are big and bulky and now since
all you need is a D700 and GPS with map display for most APRS
portable functions and don't need the laptop, I was looking for
a smaller package...

I found something even smaller at Wall mart..!

A cloth zipper-3-ring-binder-thinggy.  Its about the size of
2.5" three ring binder but is all canvas with lots of zippers,
and pockets and zips up all around.  Kind of a kid's
back-to-school carry-all.  This is what I have always wanted!

Using big suitcase/briefcase is very inefficient.  If I only put
one radio in each one, then it is a lot of overhead to carry a
few radios.  With this condensed binder approach, the binder is
pretty well 100% full.  But if I need to take this on a trip, it
will fit inside my other bags instead of being a separate
briefcase size lugalong.

My digital camera is on the friz so I cannot take photos, but
will when finished.

I use a tiny laptop power supply (3 amps) and floating set of AA
nicads which can easily power the D710 at medium power with the
low dutycycle of APRS and some voice...

Bob, WB4aPR