[aprssig] D700/D710 data port

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Mar 31 14:39:22 EDT 2008

Since I've had several requests, I'm considering building a Garmin
protocol converter for the D700/D710 after all.  I don't have one
myself, though, and it's not clear from the manual what the data port
does when it's in APRS mode.

I could have it act as just a dumb GPS data translator, using only the
GPS jack, but that wouldn't support waypoint symbols and comment text.

So what exactly does the TNC's DB9 do when the radio is busy receiving
APRS data?  Does it still function as a normal TNC, spitting out every
packet it receives in monitor mode?  I think I've heard enough bad
things about KISS mode on the D700 to want to avoid that.

What about incoming APRS messages?  Do they get any special treatment?
Can outgoing messages be sent through the data port?

Scott
N1VG