[aprssig] Reccomend GPS for Kenwood TM-D710

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 20:14:42 EDT 2008

Earl Needham wrote:

>         This looks interesting, but I don't know what protocol the
> TM-D710 requires -- this device outputs NMEA 0183 at 4800 bps --
>
>         <http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MS-GD-03&cat=GPS>
>
>         7 3
>         Earl

This is a brain-dead device that depends on a massive software stack
running on a PC to do the actual GPS processing. The device itself is
only the RF receiver part of a GPS powered by, and communicating
through, a USB port.  The "4800 baud NMEA" is a simulated (virtual)
serial port created by software  for use by other programs.     This
device is absolutely useless without a Windows PC host.   It *WILL NOT*
work with standalone devices like Kenwood radios, TinyTraks, etc.