[aprssig] Balloon Paths again and again...

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Mar 26 22:11:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> 1) FINDU shows only about 30 WIDE1-1 digis in the USA
> 2) Most of these are not in "rugged terrain"
> 3) Most WIDE1-1 digis are at home altitudes
> 4) Coverage area of most WIDE1-1's is less than 10% of a WIDEn-N
> 5) Cost benefit ratio is extremely high cost, very low benefit.
>

> Now the "cost" side of the equation is a 100% probablity of
> bringing up every WIDE1-1 in say 4 to 20 surrouding states.  Now
> WIDE1-1's are particlualrly bad because they do not do DUPE
> elimination and when they transmit a packet, the surrounding
> WIDEN-N's also do NOT recognize the packet as a DUPE.
> Therefore, not only is the balloon bringing up every WIDE1-1 in
> an entire multi-state area, but it is also generating N dupes
> for EVERY N WIDE1-1,s that it hits, at EVERY WIDEn-N digi that
> hears them!

  I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but it sounds like
you're saying that the WIDEn-N digi's will see a packet digi'd by a
WIDE1-1 as an original packet, even if they also heard the packet
directly, and digi'd it themselves.  Is that right?  If so, then this
would be true also for any terrestrial packets that happened to hit both
digis directly.  With only 30 WIDE1-1's in the country, it's a lot more
likely that a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 packet will hit a New-N digi before it hits
a WIDE1-1.
   WIDE1-1 was supposed to be a universal, painless way of incorporating
simple fill-in digis to the new-n paradigm.  If it's not working as
intended, wouldn't it make sense to work towards smarter dup checking
algorithms in the WIDEn-N digis, rather than complain when someone fails
to follow an exception in what was supposedly a 'universal' path?

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin