[aprssig] SMART Networks

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Mar 26 17:49:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I strongly resist ANY attempts to make an APRS "smart" network,
> because as a user, I am sure that I will disagree at some time
> or another with any given "smart rule" defined by some local
> SYSOP depending on what I need the network to do at any given
> situation which can be just about anything, all different.  Only
> the originator of an APRS packet is the one that knows for sure
> what he wants the packet to do...

   I find your hard-headedness on this issue somewhat amusing, since you
seem to enjoy jumping on your soapbox to harangue the multitudes on the
evils of using the *wrong* paths, especially overly-long paths, yet you're
equally adamant to reserve your right to use an abusive path just so your
mother can track your travels over the mountains and thru the woods into
the next state on the way to Thanksgiving dinner.  Your 'let the user
decide' stance sounds to me like the argument of the spammers who claim a
'constitutional' right to their abuse as 'free speech'.

   Give us a break, Bob.  The way to manage the network is to let the digi
node operators define a 'service area' geographically, then digi any
packet originated in that area, and ignore all others.  That would reduce
the operator to choosing one of two paths:  Direct, or 'via APRS', which
would digi as far as congestion would allow, hopefully reaching an igate.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin